The Essentials: • Purina Pro Plan dog foods We proudly feed Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 and Purina Sensitive Skin & Stomach with great success. Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 is for all life stages and best for starting your puppy. Purina Pro Plan food is MADE IN USA, has never had recalls, and is not a food that is on the FDA list that is known to cause cardiac issues. Beware of boutique foods that have not been properly studied - anything containing large amounts of lentils / pea protein is a hazard to the health of your dog. We advise feeding puppies 3 times per day, as much as they would like to eat. Adults 2 times per day. Add a little water to the kibble for hydration. You may buy canned food to mix in as well. Never cater to your dog if they become picky as this will lead to more trouble later - simply remove the food, make sure that they have had good exercise and then offer it again later. Available at Chewy.com, Amazon.com, Petsmart etc.
• Vittles Vault Food Container Keep your kibble FRESH with a Vittles Vault airtight container! Dogs don't like when their food goes stale and you will be less likely to attract bugs if you keep it in this container. The larger size allows you to also keep treat bags in it etc.
• Vari Kennel Ultra size 36" We highly recommend crate training to all of our puppy owners for a happy life for human and hound. This is our favorite crate as it provides plenty of room, prevents the injury possibilities caused by the folding wire crates and is much more comfortable to rest in. PEACE of mind is priceless! Most of our hounds love to go take naps in their crates with the doors open and we feed them their meals while they are in their "den". Your puppy may or may not be destructive to bedding while adjusting to their crate / teething. Do not invest in expensive dog bedding until they are finished teething. A layer of soft towels or inexpensive blankets will do well. If you have questions about crate training and methods, let us know!
• Pro Select Steel Water Pail Your puppy will have started life drinking water from this style of water pail in addition to standard bowls. These steel pails are durable and safe to use clipped to the door of their crate (must buy double ended snap clip separately). Although some reading may suggest to remove water, we feel that it is essential for healthy kidney function to have access to water when crated. Your dog will thank you for this pail and enjoy it for life.
• Outdoor Dog Supply ID Name Tag Collars We have searched for many years to find the ideal collar for our hounds for ID tags - and here it is at an incredible price! These last for lifetimes, are waterproof , light reflective, have the name tag stamped and fastened on so there is no chance of being caught on anything. We are thankful that our puppy owners trust these collars also and buy them for their hounds. Please note THIS collar is only for ID purposes - it is NOT to be used to attach a leash for walking.
• Mendota 6Ft soft rope slip lead These are the best! They are affordable, come in a variety of colors and keep your hound safe no matter how excited they get on lead.
Your puppy will go home with a safe walking-lead to start with if you do not have one yet. A buckle or snap collar is used for ID tags only, not for walking. Choke chains must never be used on whippets as it can damage their throat.
Please be aware that Whippets and all sighthounds need a special collar (Martingale or Slide collar) so that they do not back-out, slip out etc. when they get excited or see a squirrel. Do not use a flat buckle collar, body harness or head-halter for walking your Whippet because these are not safe for the breed.
GROOMING: You are blessed to be interested in or getting a Whippet. The only grooming that is essential to the health and well being of your dog is short NAILS and clean TEETH. Long nails cause joint pain, arthritis and bone fractures so it is essential that you keep the feet of your athlete in good shape. Here is a helpful guide to nail care and products. Dirty teeth lead to tooth decay and heart disease. Here is a helpful video on how to do basic teeth cleaning.
If you train your dog from youth to allow you to touch his/her paws and clean his/her teeth, you will be able to avoid expensive care that may require sedation which is dangerous to your pet. We will show you how to do these things before you take your new family member home.
For Chewing / Teething: Best Bully Sticks Our favorite chew of choice - fully digestible and helps with crate training or quiet time. Well worth the cost! Also offer your puppy large cold carrots as a healthy snack and teething aid. Please DO NOT offer rawhide or cow hooves as these have proven to be dangerous! (We can tell you some stories if you like!)
Please, do not buy treats that are MADE IN CHINA... these have proven very dangerous to your dog. if you have a membership to Costco, the Kirkland Signature biscuits and other MADE IN USA treats available are wonderful!
CAR SAFETY: When traveling with your hound, always think safety first. In many accidents, the hound would have been fine had it at least been attached to a seat belt with a leash to prevent escape on to dangerous roads. We highly recommend the following products:
Gunner Kennels This is the ULTIMATE crate! The only CRASH TESTED dog kennel available. We safely and proudly transport our dogs in Gunner Kennels and highly recommend them. Made in USA.
If a crate in your car for transport is not an option, we suggest at the minimum that your whippet be clipped in with a crash-tested style harness. Remember that a harness is not to be used to walk your whippet as they can easily slip out. Size MEDIUM adjusts to fit a whippet best. Kurgo Car Safety Impact Harness Kurgo Enhanced Strength Dog Harness
EXERCISE PEN: Precision Pet Exercise Pen Any hound from us will have started life enjoying the freedom and safety of being in an exercise pen. If you would simply like a safe designated area for your whippet, we use and highly recommend exercise pens by Precision Pet products. We like the taller sizes, 36" or 48". Do not forget to get the metal snaps to close the pen, and optional LID / TOP which will give the pen stability to not fall over, peace of mind!
PUPPY GATE: Puppy/Baby Gate For front door safety or to guard your kitchen, nothing is better than a baby / puppy gate. When your hands are full and you need to unload your stuff, this attractive gate will protect you and your hound from any accidental escapes or allow them to express their joy without jumping all over you and your guests.
SPECIALTY PRODUCTS: One of the most fun things about owning a Whippet is the fun collars and coats you can buy! These are like clothing for them and there are so many great options out there, but these custom items just for Whippets are generally NOT available in pet stores so you will need to order online from any one of these fine makers: